Sunday 11 April 2010

Hitting the Wall

It was inevitable. Hitting the wall with my Moonwalk Training. It happened in 2008 and 2009 - the point where the whole challenge seems impossible. The general train of thought during the wall experience are usually things like - My legs won't move fast enough, my mile times are awful, I won't finish on the night, and doing this by myself is, at times, very, very lonely.

My dose of 2010 doubts surfaced this morning with a 14 mile training walk scheduled. Which makes getting dressed, organised and ready to hit the pavement a challenge in itself. I knew this was coming, and perhaps should have been a bit more mentally prepared to get through it.

With Pete away watching the football, my brother and his wife were charged with picking the dogs up, walking them and then looking after them in Burnham for the rest of the day. The planned route meant walking from Windsor to Burnham, and then having dinner with my them both and my parents, and coming back again. I was on the verge of phoning and finding a feeble excuse, but my mobile rang to inform me they were on their way. No getting out of that arrangement then!

After they had all gone, I set up the iphone to track my walk via GPS and got my trusty ipod nano ready with the tunes.

For the first 4 miles, my legs felt like lead. Then my ipod started to get to some motivational tunes. At four miles, I hit the top of the Long Walk and start to head down. The sun was shining and people were happy. My mood lifted slightly, and I gave myself a real talking to as I powered towards the Castle.

The thing is, when I reached Burnham (after 3 hours and 50 mins), the block lifted. I entered the house to be greeted by the dogs. There was the wonderful smell of Roast Chicken. And a big hug and "Well Done" from the two people who are the whole reason for doing this. Mum and Dad. The Breast Cancer Survivor and Kidney Cancer Survivor.

Because if we don't keep working towards a cancer cure, I wouldn't have eaten such a marvellous Sunday Roast. They wouldn't have been here to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment