Monday 6 April 2009

Gotta have faith in your footwear - Training Diary #2


After a week of feeling very sorry for myself and being, to be frank, extremely unwell, I was beginning to doubt whether 26 miles in 6 weeks was a reality.

To cheer myself up between feeling nauseous and trying to absorb water, I had to invest in some new trainers for the big event.  Last year, I bought a fab pair of Asics trainers, that cost an arm and a leg, and I swear they carried me around the Moonwalk course.

However, these high tech beasties were fantastic, but the gel does wear down in them, and I was starting to feel a bit of strain on my muscles and joints on the longer walks this year.

In Windsor, there is a brilliant little chain of shops called Swim, Bike, Run (does exactly what is says on the tin - Swimming, Bikes and Bike Gear, and top Running Gear) so I went down for a chat, and they showed me the updated version of last years trainers (with the updated price - £130!!)  So the chap fitted them for me, pointed out how the laces are shaped to help your bone structure in your foot, and showed me a new way of tying them!

I then tested them out on a couple of 2 miles walks with the dogs, and I seemed to bounce along nicely, especially with my dri fit socks as well.

So today was the tester.  I aimed to walk up to 12 miles - a test for the trainers, and for me, as after last weeks bug, yesterday was the only day I had managed 3 square meals, without feeling awful afterwards.

On my first stretch along the river, I bumped into my friend Matt, who was on lock duty.  He offered me a cup of tea, which I turned down as I was early into my walk.  I was to regret that later.  After a quick catch up, me and my new trainers bounced upon our way.

The lesson to learn today was that I should have brought a bit of change out for extra water and stashed a chocolate bar in my jacket.  I kept going for 9 miles and then slowed.  My legs had given up the juice and whilst I probably could have forced myself home, I listened to my body, decided I was too dehydrated, and phoned for my lift.

All in all, I am very happy with my trainers, only one small blister, and not too many aches!

Must remember to equip myself to get more water next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment